Saturday, January 23, 2010

MM update, defeat is mine


I will admit defeat. I'm not doing that gladly, I really thought I had a shot at completing MM; maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

So, you might want to know what happened. In short I died four times. Four times trying to reach Zooknock, and four times reaching different parts of the dungeon. All of the times it were the level 142 skeleton monkeys that did me in.

Reconnoitering the dungeon with Simple gave me a few difficult passages. Basically there are four main threats. The first one are the Zombie Monkeys, followed by a few traps, some environmental problems like poisoning and falling debris, and lastly the Skeleton Monkeys. The environmental problems were the least of my worries. I can deal with those using anti poison and, at certain intervals, gobble up a buttered potato or two.

The first few traps were not a problem either. Same procedure as with the environment, anti poison and potato. Zombie Monkeys posed a bigger problem but the combination of running and eating those potatoes again meant I got past those. Then the big problem arose: Floor spikes and Skeleton Monkeys in one go.

I'll admit here and now I didn't have energy potions on me: I can't make those (well, I couldn't, I can now). So, down on run energy, I had no other recourse than to rest and hide from the Skeletons. There is this one spot where you can hole up without being attacked by Zombie Monkeys or Skeletons and just taking the hits from falling debris. Since that takes only 2-3 hp away while resting to get run energy back it is do-able.

Then the real trouble starts: The mad dash round three corners, each littered with floor spikes and skeletons trying to do you in. And in all four tries that did it. Floor spikes hit you for 7 and will keep hitting for 7 when you stand on them. With 40 hp that means I could be safe if I got hit a maximum of five times. Not counting the skeletons...

And that is where it went horribly wrong... Getting hit for 7's from the floor, and way higher by skeletons meant I just couldn't gobble up potatoes fast enough to get me through it. Four times I tried, four times I failed.

Out of pure frustration I did another quest: Shades of Mort'ton. That got me 22 herblore and the possibility to concoct energy potions. Maybe I'll give it one more go with a few energy potions on me.

One thing that still amazes me. Sabre Grief. Apparently, by his own admission, he completed the dungeon on his Grief account while being combat level 30 with 1 prayer. I can't for the life of me understand how he managed to do that, since it would mean even less hp to lose than the 40 I have, and a lower def level so the monkeys hit higher... Nope, I just can't imagine how he did it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Simple,
    First of all, nice blog! :) I just recently started reading, but I love it. As for MM, yes, I did do it with 1 def/pray (and about 25 hp I believe). The trick to doing the tunnel is to have a friend run it with you, a short distance ahead of you, drawing about 90% of the monsters to attack him. If you catch me online, I'd be glad to help.
    Another challenge you may encounter is the Jungle demon at the end, I hid from it, till the gnomes got him to 1hp, then ran out and let him kill himself via my ring of recoil :)
    Anyway, don't give up, its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, just realized I never introduced myself, although you probably guessed.

    -Grief

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope... I'm going to do it solo. Basically it means getting pray to 43. Almost there so it should be within 1-2 weeks

    ReplyDelete