Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Money, the lack of it, and a 'new' way to get some

At times people ask how to make some cash. Most answer that question with the obvious answers: Mine iron/coal/gold/runite or any other run-of-the-mill way to get some of those shiny golden coins.

Another thing that happens is this: You only look at items you can make, use, steal, bribe from that particular level you have. That is what happened to me today. Yesterday I got level 87 crafting and I was told I now can make Dorgeshuun light orbs. Nice, the only reference I have come across was in Merch's blog concerning a strange pink lolly-pop that needed to be repaired (find said blog entry here), other than that, zilch. Now that light bulb consists of 2 items. One is the bulb you make out of molten glass, the second part is a piece of wire (known by those who actually make lamps as a 'filament'). That piece of wire is what it is all about. You can get them by stealing from chests, but then it is a random reward, or you make your way south, climb some stairs, down some stairs and start grabbing wire from a machine (turn off sound... the low humming gets annoying).

I know I have a pretty high thieving level and most of those reading this won't get the result I had, still... Grabbing the wire. I did that for exactly 52 minutes and got 359 of them. I used Shelley (thank you again, Merch) for about 40 minutes, an crafted 28 bulbs after the first trip, thus it could have been a tad higher. When I returned to the bank I crafted the bulbs I had made, in all 108 of them, that left 251 wires...

Then I looked at the rs GE page and that was when my eyes popped out... market price 993 gp, high price 1043 gp each. I broke a home teletab, went through the Varrock portal and ended up in front of the GE. Noted Cave goblin wire (all remaing 251 of them) and offered them at the highest price: 1043 gp each. And they sold within 10 seconds.

Now I don't really need money since I try to get the stuff I need myself. But it seems to me this would be a nice way to increase the gp status of a reasonable amount of players. All you would need is thieving level 44 since that is required to thieve that wire. Sure, at 44 you won't get the same number I got, but even if you did get 40% of it it would mean 40% of 430,000 gp per hour... that still is 172,000gp... Can't see you get that from mining iron.




Some other news:



And of course that crafting level:


4 comments:

  1. Now you're actually making me a bit curious to the gains at lower level thieving. At first glance, it seems profitable, but I'm curious to know if there's a formula out there for success % per level or if it's just a random one. :P

    Still, if the exp/h turns out to be decent, I'd imagine that being a fairly good method of training for lower combat characters since Pyramid Plunder, while ideal for a good exp/h gain, sucks if you can't finish all the quests or you can't last long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Training thieving there is just not done. An hours play yields about 7800 xp (and that is with 99 thieve). The money is a different thing, sadly I can't try what the result would be with 44 thieving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very fascinating as I really can't stand thieving... The skill just bothers me, but the money counterpart is very nice :D I really want the money to buy that Sara GodSword someday, so I guess it's worth a try soon (and agility gets boring nowadays :( )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a nice little hint, I will be needing to do my thieving one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete