Monday, November 23, 2009

What has happened?

To me, or to the game? I just don't know anymore; how to play, how to react, how to... be part of this game I suppose.

An incessant stream of people go around and play. Nothing wrong with that, basically it is how it should be. A new player influx keeping the game alive, evolving to new heigts. At least, that is what it should be. I don't think that is the case anymore. As a player I reached my fourth birthday in April this year. By far the longest I spent on any game, even with a year of hardly playing at all. You could say I have seen it all, just, I haven't. When I play I tend to react to what people are saying around me. Bids for information, questions answered, that kind of thing. And I expect people to do the same, it is, after all, what keeps the player community together.

It just doesn't happen like that anymore. New players seem to be out for number one; though one could say that is a generalisation not doing justice to the 'well behaved' new players. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the majority of players. I'm attacking those who are running around like headless chicken, not knowing what to do, and getting on the nerves of others. Those who, like yesterday, start yelling they need three air runes to teleport to god knows where, and when you give them teleport out without so much as a 'thank you'. One more thing I won't do.

Or those people who seem to think the game revolves around them, and only them.

In short, I miss the cameradery I enjoyed in 'the olden days'. Coming together to enjoy a new quest, helping out no matter what. Sneezingtree once made a comment on the change within the game. The subject then was the advent of a new quest: Legends. Those who didn't have the levels to complete it banded together and helped each other to get it done and finish the quest later on. For me I had that same experience when RfD came out: People helping others, without regard for status, without regard for personal rewards. Just to get something done. A new item, a new achievement, a new goal, a new area. Banding together, helping out, being a nice community.

I miss that. I have become more of a loner in this game than I ever was before. Ah well... it must be me.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes, being a loner sounds like the best method to go with, it seemed like people are getting more and more selfish, while I for one find it much more satisfying to help a fellow player out, regardless of which name they've picked or which level they are. As long as they seem worth it (mature attitude) I don't mind wasting some time on them.

    The doing quests together is not something I'm familiar with, I do am familiar with going Penguin Hunting with the same group of people every Saturday (night, 2 AM >.< well sunday rather) and there we just walk together even if we know exactly were it's hiding, so the comradery is something I enjoy alot :)

    Anyways, I've got to get back to being a loner... I need to do alot more agility if I ever want to reach level 90 (and my first 90 skill :p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the things that just drove me away, to be fair. In the end, it seemed like the people had changed in the sense that there wasn't a lot of spirit left, it was just pure focus on goals but the reasons for doing it wasn't as important anymore. I enjoyed making a goal to prove a friend a point, or to help them with a quest, or just relax and talk to people that usually were laidback as well, but in the end, the world of RuneScape just ended up feeling empty.
    Combine that with the fact that most of my closest friends had already started to disappear or retire, there wasn't a lot of point in keeping it up. I don't even enjoy playing on my main character anymore, though I found some pleasure in playing my newbie character but that was due to the thrill of improving, not as much as enjoying the community. If I want to build a character and improve it, I'd just much rather play World of Warcraft. The community isn't necessarily better (though it's easier to find groups of equal-minded people, I admit) at all, but at least the game isn't as bloody limiting as RuneScape.

    I don't really miss RuneScape, but I miss the good times with the people from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the attitude in runescape these days. yes what has happened... Here I am a happy player enjoying friendship with players. everything is going great, here I am just reached my first 99 skill --- I ran in circles forever on ape atoll. Then I take a break for the summer.. Now the weather turns -40 C, and I figure i'll get back into the game. So I log on and here I am in freeplay, ok great.. played freeplay for awhile, uh, these guys seem a bit noobish. ok w/e it must be just the freeplay worlds since I usually didn't play on them much. So I get 2 months of membership, yay I think, this is just going to be like old times, so I run down to durrel and grab a new slayer task. hummm hellhounds.. ok great... gear up here i go, 10 kills later... clue.. ok great, i love clues.. so here i go to do the clue. gear up out in the wild to dig in a spot. and here i meet this player wandering arround in like level 50 wild looking for green drags. So i'm like the best place i found to kill them was just outside of edgville. so she demands i taker her there.. I said just give me a few min i'm on a clue. no take me now.. i'm like I just have to run a little deeper and dig... with a bit of complaing she is like... well fine then dont help.. so i am like ok add me i'll meet you in edgy and take you there. a few min later and a world hop to escape revanant.. i hop back to my origional world. to meet up with her again. so i sit in edgy for 5 min waiting for her to make it back out of the wild. finally she arrives. hummm ok great.. i examin her gear for green drags.. ddp++ and.. no dfire shield.. ok, I can live with this.. you can't.. get a dfire shield.. A what? a dragon fire shield... thoes dragons will kill you easy without it.. "grumble complain" ok ok just wiat a sec. back another 4 min later, yay great you have the proper shield.. good.. ready to go ? uh wait she says, do you have food? uh yeah dont you ? no... give me some. uh ok... 8 sharks later.. she's happilly at green drags.. hummm. people complain too maby people! i'm leaving i say.. just showing her how to do it.. ok now thoes sharks should last you and with the bones and hides you should be able to buy more. chomp chomp i see her. hummmm ok i'm going to finish clue. ttyl... back in edgy ... gearing up agian for clue.. here is a green dot behind me... Give me more food... uh ok, here are a few more sharks. I will talk to you later. bye... ok hummm happilly on on clue.. and i get a pm, i died why did i die.. ... Now what has happened here? I think we have some 8 year old player, reading online, that green drags are a good way to make money. The runescape comunity has since the grand exchange seemed to take the personal contact between players out of the game.. now instead of searching the forums to sell or buy and item, you simply put an offer in the grand exchange.. everyone is out to help only themselves. I would love to see the ammount of new players that actually get throught shield of arrav. it requires a friend, how do you make friends with the grand exhange.. friendship has not dissapeared completelly tho, but now everyone is soo greedy, partlly due to merch clans. everyone things you have to be rich to have fun on runescape, you dont. I had fun when I had 5k in the bank, and I do now when i have 100m worth of stuff. and all that time, i had fun. People stop being greedy and enjoy the game. thats just my 2c on the issue. :) Proud player Clem_15

    ReplyDelete