Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ranting again

And now the end is near, and so I face...

Well, not exactly. Last week I had seven full days of free, nearly uninterrupted time off, and thus I played a bit more than usual. Of course this yielded some results. I'm chaffed to bits by 73 range (maybe even 74 as I write this before the end of the free-time period). I think I need not explain that range is my favorite combat skill.

Range, however, does have some drawbacks when compared to magic or the melee style of combat. I think I did rant on that a bit before this, but I still don't understand why some people think range is overpowered. As of this moment my combat level is 76, of which three levels are due to 24 summoning. In the olden days the fabled 23-23 hit with a magic short bow was enough to convince the average warrior range was way overpowered. That this combination rarely happened was not taken into consideration, the numbers are there so it has to be true.

Well, not really. You see, where a special attack with a ddp has an increased accuracy, the mage short attack benefits from a decreased accuracy. Not to mention the fact the special bar ends at 4 attacs for the ddp and 2 for the mage short. In all, that fabled 23-23 takes 99 range and a lot of luck.

I'll readily admit the blokes at Jagex towers have changed a bit in favour of the ranger, whether it is enough I don't know.

Most warriors counter any arguement with a number of 'facts': Range is cheap, Range doesn't need food, Range has loads of weapons to choose from at low levels, and a number of other bullshit facts. I'm not going to repeat my counter arguement but: Range isn't cheap, range does need food, and the weapons are limited. Should you be interested you can find it here (a bit dated but still valid).

So, why would I want to bring this subject up again you might wonder. Well, like I said, I've been playing a bit again. And, to me, it looks as if the differences have increased instead of decreased. Little me with 76 combat was given a Lesser Demon assignment. Next to me was a level 78 warrior fighting the same critters with a Godsword. Now, in order to wield said sword he must have had 75 attack, and thus was 2 levels up on me on his highest combat-skill level. So he would be able to kill them faster... But a 3 to 1 ratio? Seems RS is still favoring the warrior.

As is made evident with one other update: Hex crest and Focus sight. Ever made your own slayer helmet? No? The procedure is quit simple, add all available head gear for the slayer into one object. Piece de resistance was the black mask (another warrior item :P).



Now two new items can be added. But not on their frigging own. You NEED to have both to add them to the slayer helmet. For heavens sake, why would a ranger need a black mask added to his helmet? Why would he need a fucking hexcrest? 

A RANGER IS A RANGER, NOT A WARRIOR WITH SOME ADDED BONUSES.

Serious Jagex, if you take your game seriously, you better get your combat triangle update out there asap...



Oh one more thing, got past 1200 total. Guess I will get my goal of 1250 before the end of the year :P






No comments:

Post a Comment